There is lots of support and advice available for carers.

If you are looking after or providing care for a relative, child or friend, then you can find more information about what you can do as a carer below.

Being a young carer

You're a young carer if you're under 18 and help to look after a relative with a disability, illness, mental health condition, or drug or alcohol problem.

If you're a young carer, you probably look after one of your parents or care for a brother or sister.

You may do extra jobs in and around the home, such as cooking, cleaning, or helping someone get dressed and move around.

You may also give a lot of physical help to a parent, brother, or sister who's disabled or ill.

Along with doing things to help your brother or sister, you may be giving them and your parents emotional support, too.

Being an adult carer

A carer is someone, who provides help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help. This could be due to age, physical or mental illness, disability, or addiction. A carer may be an adult, a child, or a young person.

A parent carer is a parent of a disabled child providing substantial and regular care beyond what is usually expected for a similarly aged child. When a disabled young person reaches age 19, the parent carer does not stop being a parent, but in legal and policy terms is considered to be the carer of an adult.

Carers will be of all ages and situations; many balance their caring role with work, training, and childcare; many care for someone who does not live in the same house and may travel some distance.

Becoming a carer

If you are looking to become a carer or to support a relative, friend or neighbour, then their GP needs to know so you can be offered the right information.

Our surgery has to collect information for the Government about the numbers of carers attached to the surgery, so your information will help us to do this.

Please complete the form below to register yourself as a carer.

Young and adult carer assessment

As a carer, you are entitled to an assessment of your needs. To arrange for a carer assessment, you can contact:

Bristol: 0117 922 2700
South Gloucestershire: 01454 868007

You can find more information on carer assessments on the NHS UK website

The Carers Emergency Card

For people who care for adults or children who depend on them because of an illness or disability.

The Carers Emergency Card is a free service that provides up to 72 hours of emergency support to the person cared for in the event of an accident or emergency that prevents the carer from looking after their loved one.

To apply for a South Glos card, call The Carers Support Centre Carers Line on 0117 965 2200 or alternatively ask for a form next time you are in the surgery.

Further support and information

The Carers Support Centre

(Translated Carers Packs here)

Carers Line: 0117 965 2200 (opening times are 10am to 1pm Monday to Saturday)

Bristol and South Glos Young Carers

Carers Line: 0117 965 2200 (opening times are 10am to 1pm Monday to Saturday)

Carers UK

South Glos Parents and Carers

Contact form:


Find out more about our online services

Book an appointment

Find out how to book, change or cancel an appointment.

Order a repeat prescription

Find out more about prescriptions and ordering a repeat prescription.

Get test results

Find out how to get test results online.

Register as a patient

Find out how to register as a new patient or register on behalf of someone else, at our surgery.